We're turning a hay field into a vegetable farm on a non-profit horse ranch!
In the past few weeks, we've:
1. Borrowed a neighbor's plow
2. Transported flats of plants that we've grown at the greenhouse
3. Prepared ground for planting (built a roller-marker for behind the tiller)
4. Planted a quarter acre of lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, kale, onions, carrots, spinach, beets, herbs
5. Set up a drip irrigation system
6. Covered the brassica-family plants (cabbage, broccoli, kale) with row cover held down with lots of sandbags because it's a windy hill
7. Staked out a 3 acre deer fence and drilled holes with a rented bobcat and post-hole digger
8. Received our donation of fencing material from a generous Home Depot grant
9. Set post in ground with the help of strong Veterans and volunteers
10. Put eight-foot-tall wire fencing up
12. Watched the world become filled with flowers and green things!
On your mark, get set, this summer is GO