Friday, May 23, 2008

heaven-like


My friend Severine helped us out this morning, weeding the spinach & garlic.  We were out in the field when she exclaimed, "There's not really any weeds here, though!"  Exactly.  There never will be--- only innocent little pre-weed sprouts, which we mercilessly brushed away with hands & hoes.  A pre-emptive attack.  This is the secret to a clean farm-- weed before there are weeds.  We had 5 volunteers today helping us tidy up the whole garlic field, and most of W1!  

I have to say, working in that field full of huge, frilly lettuce heads, elegant bok choi, colorful chard, cabbage, broccoli, spinach... 6 adults, 2 kids, 2 wheel hoes, 2 oscillating hoes, 3 hand hoes... a cool breeze, birds singing, blue sky, friendly chatter & occasional song... it felt like a little piece of heaven.  

The rest of the afternoon we mowed & weed-whacked, to make the place all look tidy for our first distribution next week!  I can't wait.

The weather has been so nice and it stays light so long, I've been wanting to get out and play some tennis down at the local courts.  Does anyone want to join me sometime?  I can't play by myself...

Oh, and a cool website that lets you know where you can get farm-fresh food near you:  www.eatwellguide.org

No comments: